Trinity 1930 130The congregations of the three Methodist chapels in Leighton Buzzard (Wesleyan on Hockliffe Street, Atterbury Mission on Vandyke Road and Primitive Methodist on North Street) formally joined in 1960 and formed Trinity Methodist Church. 

The plan for the new combined congregation was that they would temporarily use the former Primitive Methodist Chapel on North Street whilst new premises were built. The former Wesleyan Chapel on Hockliffe Street was going to be demolished and a new Chapel erected on this land. 

However within a year of the formation of Trinity the Town Council had commandeered the land on Hockliffe Street. Although this provided a considerable sum towards the development funds it meant the plans had to be completely revised.

The combined congregation and its activities were too large for the chapel on North Street so a three-phased plan for expansion was prepared and executed:
1.    A new Hall to be used for the Sunday School.
2.    A new anteroom and a new frontage across the whole building.
3.    Enlarged worship area.

Trinity 1977 315

Much of the funds for this work came from the sale of the Atterbury Mission, the Wesleyan chapel and its manses. The building work was completed in 1977. Investment has continued and the Church provides a large worship area wide range of meetings which are in use by the Church or the Community for most of the week.

Trinity almost complete 315Building work near completion in 1977


Trinity 215
And this is what we look like today!